Skip to main content
Disaster Recovery Partner For Pitt County
site map
email us

Hurricane Matthew Disaster Assistance:

  1. The Winterville Church of Christ has a disaster relief effort underway. It is serving people that were in the flood zones of Pitt County, however, they may be able to assist those in other counties affected in the flood zone. They have food boxes, clothing, water, cleaning supplies for cleanup, some clothing, and there is no income requirement for this. If they register with them and need help with furniture or appliances, then there is an income cap on that but they could possibly help with providing furniture for one room (bed room or living room), and one appliance.

3170 Church Street Ext, Winterville, NC 28590

Phone: (252) 757-3788

This could be very helpful for the Grifton people that flooded as Winterville is not too far to travel. I can’t remember the days they are opening but you can direct people to call for assistance.

2.Rebuilding Together Pitt County; Email:, Phone: 252.814.0600. We All applicants must: 1) Reside in Pitt County; 2) Own the house they need renovated (cannot be a mobile home); and 3) Be at or below the 50% median income level for Pitt County. Rebuilding Together serves residents of Pitt County.  However, we do have a Resources list we can give to people outside of the county.  NOTE: This is a lengthy process and make not take care of immediate needs.


  1. Catholic Charities: Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh, Tar River Regional Office, 2780-B Dickinson Avenue, Greenville, NC 27834 Phone: (252) 355-5111 Fax: (252) 355-1088, Hours of Operation: Mondays-Wednesdays: 9:30am-12:00pm/1:30pm-4:30pm (Disaster Assistance) Thursdays: By appointment only Fridays: Closed. Types of assistance: Food, Clothing, Toiletries, Cleaning Supplies, Diapers and wipes, Household items, Limited financial assistance to assist with housing costs (if all other financial resources have been denied). Eligibility requirements:  For food, clothing, toiletries, and other goods one there are no eligibility requirements; for financial assistance, client must have applied FEMA and/or SBA assistance. Award or denial letter must be provided. Financial Assistance NOT available for hotel stays or temporary solutions. Referral form is attached.


  1. Hope of Glory: They are providing emergency food, clothing and hygiene needs. They have a voucher (See Attachment) they prefer that is used. Contact Mandi Stewart at 252.321.6857.


  1. Pitt Co. Dept. of Social Services: Providing disaster assessments. Food and housing assistance is being provided. Contact Margaret Dixon at  252-902-1068


  1. Interfaith Clergy /Churches Outreach network Providing assistance for food, water, diapers, cleaning supplies and hygiene items. There are three steps to receive help. Go to website, click on the Hurricane Matthew picture, complete the form on the left and submit online. Pastor Coles and his crew will call back the individual and arrange a pick up location and list of supplies. Any agency with questions can call Pastor Coles at 717-9600 or email at


  1. Red Cross: Much of Red Cross’ assistance happens at the time of the disaster, opening shelters, providing food and snacks, etc. They have some assistance for individuals and families who do not qualify for FEMA and is done on an individual basis.


  1. The Salvation Army: They provide food, water and toiletries; taking Christmas applications on November 22 from 9-12; 1-3.  All assistance for emergency rental assistance and utilities is done on a first come, first served basis and by appointment only.


  1. PATS: Transportation is available and would need to call the office to discuss what they can do. Requests from agencies still need to be made 24 hours before the need and before 2 pm. Payment would be secured from the agency for the individual. There could possibly be reimbursement for the agency but that is yet to be determined. 902-2010.


  1. FEMA: Representatives at the meeting stated there is various help through their office. Rene Salva recommended that we send people to the Disaster Recovery Center and pick up a booklet that explains all about FEMA and includes how to appeal if claim is denied. The Disaster Recovery Center will close December 9th. He wanted us to now that undocumented folks can register with FEMA if the family has a child born in the USA. He also stated there are temporary shelter assistance. FEMA will also assist with vehicle repair ($600 - $9,000) or vehicle replacement up to $9,425. The vehicle must be licensed and insured. Call 800-621-3362 or go to


  1. Crisis Cleanup: Volunteer teams are working in your county to restore homes after Hurricane Matthew. This work includes cleanout, muck-out, tear out, and mold sanitation. The teams are going to homes registered with Crisis Cleanup. This service is free and available to those in owner-occupied homes, including undocumented residents. Call 800-451-1954 through December 2nd
    About us

    Information about your website goes here.

    Contact us
    email us
    Disaster Recovery Partner For Pitt County
    1206 Evans Street Suite 24
    Greenville, NC 27834
    252 717-9600 / 877 218-4247